Monday, February 13, 2012

Fear or Faith?

I don't know about you all, but I find that usually when I go after something, the biggest thing that holds me back is my fear of stepping out into uncharted territory. So I was looking for performance opportunities and found a community one and thought, oh that would be fun. So I filled out the application and sent them a sample track. Then I read that the deadline to get an application in was oh, about a week and a half earlier. So I thought Oh well.... de-stress. Then 2 days later I got an email saying welcome to the show and you have 7 minutes of stage time. Begin doubts and fears creeping in. Now I'm not usually nervous to perform, but that would be because I've always done cover songs and usually been asked by people I know. Begin journey into uncharted territory.... I get to sing my own songs that I spent 3 weeks in Nashville working for and I get to perform for people I don't know and who don't love me to tell me I did great even when I mess up!

Now begin therapy ;0)! I read a quote by Bill Cosby that explains my fight everyday. He says,


Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it!


Its not that I don't want to perform, I love it, in fact thrive on it. The fun that it brings into people's lives in the audience. I can even see myself in a huge stadium having a great time on stage singing away with all my fans joining in. I guess the fear lies in the uncharted waters that it takes to cross to get to there from here.

Life is like that. To get to a new place in our life whether it be a new job, new house, better relationships, better body (let's be honest, we are all looking to lose that last 10lbs ;0)!) We have to do things we've never done before, which takes courage, determination, and faith. I've heard that 2 thoughts cannot coexist at the same time. You can have one thought right after another, but not at the same time. Light and dark do not coexist. Neither does fear and faith.  What we think determines our actions. Action creates results. Basic formula.  It can be in the direction we want to head or the exact opposite!

So I guess the power to choose what we think is ours. Focusing on our desired result gives positive, forward motion.  Make the decision to want it and let go of fear, and I think that we will be amazed at what we invite into our life!

1 comment:

  1. All of your quotes are amazing! I am so glad you started writing all your ideas! Your an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete